Sunday, September 16, 2012

Time

thoughts on time

When the previous post was written, the current 'now' was merely speculation with millions of possibilites. But the current now is locked in and will shortly be set in the past, as is all the time between here and back there.

What are the relationships between anticipation, experience, and memory?

At one time you are looking forward to something, at another you are living it, and at another it is only a memory. Events seem to be a lot like mile-markers on the highway. We see them, we are going past them, then they are behind us and only accessible by looking back.

I'm at FB. At one time I was tentatively planning on coming here. Now I am here. And I can confidently predict, based on past experience,(haha) that in a seemingly short time, this two year period will only be a memory.

But there is something deeper in this three-way relation that is almost noticeable. I'll pull on it a while and see if anything gives.

It's like we live an event three times.

The experience of the future is completely subject to imagination.
The experience of the present is subject to the ability to notice.
The experience of the past is completely subject to memory.

And yet, in a way, they are all the same. An exciting, fun event has positive connections from all three angles. A dreadful one has dark connections from all angels.
Ah, here is an anomalie. An event that is dreaded and barely endured can be looked back on with joy.
Likewise, an event anticipated and enjoyed can be looked back on with remorse.

That thing I was trying to pull out is still stuck. And now I have these thoughts organized around it which will distract and take energy from the thing itself. So, I will probably never dislodge it.

Maybe in the future.

1 comment:

Titus said...

While looking at a good dessert, "I am dreading turning this anticipation into a memory."